Series notes: Liberty Seated Dimes
Liberty Seated dimes were struck from 1837 through 1891 and were designed by Christian Gobrecht. The long-running Liberty Seated dime series presents numismatists with many challenges, thanks to a plethora of scarce dates and varieties.
There are several varieties in the Liberty Seated dime series, including:
- Variety 1 ? No Stars on Obverse (1837-1838)
- Variety 2 ? Stars on Obverse (1838-1853)
- Variety 3 ? Arrows at Date (1853-1855)
- Variety 2 resumed with Variety 3 weight standard; 2.49 grams (1856-1860)
- Variety 4 ? Legend on Obverse (1860-1873)
- Variety 5 ? Arrows at Date (1873-1874)
- Variety 4 resumed with weight standard of Variety 5; 2.50 grams (1875-1891)
The scarcest issues include the 1859 Obverse of 1859 With Reverse of 1860, 1860-O, 1863, 1864, 1865, 1866, 1867, 1871-CC, 1872-CC, 1873-CC Arrows at Date, 1874-CC, and 1885-S The rarest issue of the series is the 1873-CC No Arrows, which is unique and sold in 2012 sold for $1,840,000 certified as an MS65 in a Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) slab. Several other dates are considerably scarce and command hundreds of dollars apiece in circulated grades.