The Liberty Seated quarter varieties include:
- Variety 1 ? No Motto Above Eagle (1838-1853)
- Variety 2 ? Arrows at Date, Rays Around Eagle (1853)
- Variety 3 ? Arrows at Date, No Rays (1854-1855)
- Variety 1 Resumed, With Weight Standard of Variety 2, 6.22 Grams (1856-1865)
- Variety 4 ? Motto Above Eagle (1866-1873)
- Variety 5 ? Arrows at Date (1873-1874)
- Variety 4 Resumed, With Weight Standard of Variety 5, 6.25 Grams (1875-1891)
While most Liberty Seated quarters are readily available in lower circulated grades, several issues are quite scarce across the grading spectrum. These include the 1849-O, 1851-O, 1852-O, 1857-S, 1859-S, 1860-S, 1861-S, 1862-S, 1864-S, all issues from 1865 through 1869, 1871-S, 1875-CC, 1878-S, all dates from 1879 through 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, and 1891-O.
The keys are 1870-CC, 1871-CC, 1872-CC, 1872-S, and 1873-CC. The rarest date is the 1873-CC, which has six known survivors and took $460,000 at a 2012 auction. In addition to the regular-issue rarities, the Liberty Seated series offers a bevy of varieties, including the 1842-O Small Date, 1854-O Huge O, and 1856-S S Over Small S. Needless to say, the complexity of this series, its numerous keys, and array of varieties means one can spend decades building a comprehensive collection of Liberty Seated quarters.