Regency Auction 30 to feature important Buffalo nickel, Barber half dollar, type, and Morgan dollar collections.
After a year of strong growth, Legend Rare Coin Auctions begins 2019 with its most valuable January Regency Auction ever. Due to the PCGS Members Show schedule, the 30th Regency Auction is also the firm’s first “standalone” auction. The auction will take place on Sunday, January 27 at the Beverly Hills Marriott hotel (the former Crowne Plaza, site of many numismatic auctions over the years).
“Everyone is accustomed to Regency Auctions being associated with the PCGS Members’ Only shows,” explains Julie Abrams, president of Legend Rare Coin Auctions. “This year, the first PCGS is not scheduled until March and because of all the fantastic consignments we had received, we decided to conduct a standalone auction in January. Our Regency Auction will be one of the auctions that takes place in Southern California just prior to the Long Beach expo, a tradition that goes back generations.”
All told, 491 lots from important holdings including the following collections:
- The Maybach Collection — A fresh to the market collection of Buffalo nickels, all graded MS65 by PCGS, and put together mostly 15-20 years ago by a dedicated specialist collector;
- The Formula 1 Collection — A partial set of some of the FINEST Barber half dollars known to collectors, all graded by PCGS. Featuring pedigrees like Norweb, Eliasberg, Price, Duckor, Akers, and Shireman, these coins will attract strong bidding;
- The Star City CAC Morgan Dollar Collection — A top-10 PCGS Registry Set of Morgan dollars, with every coin being verified by CAC. Each coin was hand selected for a high-end luster, smooth cheek, and bold strike.
- The Sand Hill and Symphony Collections — Two collections of assorted type coins and gold that play off each other quite nicely. Clearly selected for strong eye appeal and quality, these coins will delight all collectors.
“It was such a privilege cataloging these great collections for the Regency Auction,” stated Greg Cohen, Senior Numismatist. “Throughout the process, I feel like I have gotten to know the collectors personally — you learn a lot about them by looking at what they have chosen to place into their collections. After having cataloged the vast majority of the coins in the auction, I can say that each coin in these collections was carefully selected for eye appeal and quality.”
Further highlights of the sale include:
- Lot 1: Marvelous GEM 1831 Restrike half cent, PCGS PR66 BN CAC
- Lot 80: GEM 5C 1926-S from the Maybach Collection
- Lot 172: The Eliasberg-Stellar FINEST KNOWN 1896-O Barber Half from the Formula 1 Collection
- Lot 233: 50C 1956 PCGS MS66+ FBL CAC—the twin to the record breaking 1958 in our last auction.
- Lot 318: KEY PCGS AU55 CAC $1 1893-S from the Star City Collection
- Lot 385: One of the FINEST $20 1854 Kellogg, graded PCGS MS62+ CAC from the S.S. Central America
- Lot 411: GEM DCAM 1878 $3 PCGS PR65 DCAM CAC—GORGEOUS!
- Lot 454: The AMAZING, FINEST KNOWN PCGS MS67 CAC $20 1909-D, ex Eliasberg-Duckor-A&A.
- Lot 483: Amazing transitional 1865 “With Motto” 50C, J-427. PCGS PR66 CAC
“This numismatic offering is a great way to start out the year!” exclaimed Laura Sperber, the founder of LRCA. “This sale has more than double the pre-sale estimated value of any January Regency Auction we have conducted in the past. It shows how strong our auctions have become! We have worked very hard to grow our auctions into the premier boutique numismatic auction house in the United States. The amazing quality and diversity of the coins included in the sale further proves that.”
The auction will be held on Sunday, January 27, 2019. Presale lot viewing will be held on Friday, January 25 and Saturday January 26, as well as Sunday the 27. As a special for anyone who views lots, PCGS will be set up Friday and Saturday to accept submissions for grading. Coins submitted at lot viewing will be among the first coins returned at Long Beach. You may also request to view lots at Legend’s offices, by appointment, by calling 732-935-1168.
Leave a comment
Please sign in or register to leave a comment.
Your identity will be restricted to first name/last initial, or a user ID you create.
Legend Rare Coin Auctions is an auction company dedicated first and foremost to coin collectors, whether you are buying or selling!!
Our auction company can handle everything from an entire collection to a single coin and makes sure that the coins are placed in the sale most suitable to bring the best prices realized. If you are in the market to purchase, Legend guarantees a boutique offering of world class rarities and high-end coins.
The auction company is owned by Laura Sperber, who is also the principal owner of Legend Numismatics, the undisputed #1 premier coin dealership in today’s marketplace. Laura’s credits include being the exclusive dealer to top collectors such as Simpson, Morelan, Coronet Morgans and more. She has personally bought and sold over $600 million in rare coins since she started her coin career in 1976. This means that Legend Numismatics has bought and sold more major, world class rarities than any other company. Using her expertise in the business and realizing the need for a smaller boutique type auction company where personalized service and quality offerings were the rule, she created Legend Rare Coin Auctions.
Legend Rare Coin Auctions Motto: "A happy buyer, equates to a happy seller!” You will find that Legend Rare Coin Auctions offers buyers and sellers a refreshing auction venue that is very different from its competitors.related news