SEARCH BY CATEGORY
Special British Coins Honor 50th Anniversary Of The 50p Coin
Published on March 26, 2019
50p coins depicting Kew Gardens, Roger Bannister’s record sub-four-minute mile, the Scouts and the Girl Guides all feature in special anniversary Brilliant UncirculatedAnnouncements
50p coins depicting Kew Gardens, Roger Bannister’s record sub-four-minute mile, the Scouts and the Girl Guides all feature in special anniversary Brilliant Uncirculated set
Earlier this year, The Royal Mint launched the 50p British Culture Set as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of this revolutionary seven-sided coin, which was first introduced in 1969. Following the hugely popular limited edition gold, silver and base proof sets, The Royal Mint has today unveiled a Brilliant Uncirculated version of the set celebrating key cultural milestones.
The coins featured in the set are some of the favorites amongst coin collectors, and includes one of the UK’s most sought after coins in circulation — the Kew Gardens 50p. The full set also includes the 50p commemorating Roger Bannister’s world record sub-four-minute mile, 100 years of the Scouts, and 100 years of the Girl Guides, alongside the iconic ‘New Pence’ 50p.
The coins featured in the set have been carefully selected to celebrate key cultural milestones they celebrate:
- The First Sub-Four Minute Mile: On May 6, 1954, Roger Bannister made sporting history, becoming the first athlete to run a mile in under four minutes. Taking the tape in three minutes and 59.4 seconds, in front of 3,000 cheering spectators at the Iffley Road track in Oxford, his legacy lives on as British athletes continue to break new ground, pushing themselves to the limit of human endurance. The design marked the 50th anniversary of this achievement by showing Roger mid-stride, as he closes in on his record.
- 100 Years of Scouting for Boys: The scouting movement was founded in 1907 by Robert Baden-Powell, a British cavalry officer. He hoped to instill in boys aged 11-14 a sense of resourcefulness and a code of chivalrous behavior. Originally a British movement, scouting took off all over the world. Today, those values are still upheld as millions of boys promise to be loyal to their country, help others and obey the scout law. The design features the World Scout Emblem alongside the iconic motto “be prepared.”
- 100 Years of the Girl Guides: Inspired by the popularity of his scouting movement, in 1910 Baden-Powell asked his sister Agnes to start a similar group for girls. Still going strong in the 21st century, through a mixture of fun, adventure and friendship, the Girl Guides encourage today’s youngsters to face the challenges of growing up and to be the best they can be. The design features a special arrangement of the Girl Guides trefoil.
- 250th Anniversary of the founding of Kew Gardens: 2019 is the 10th anniversary of the release of the Kew Gardens 50p. A £5 million facelift of the Great Pagoda has recently restored Britain’s first skyscraper to its former splendor – even the dragons have returned for the first time in 200 years. Originally completed in 1762 as a gift for Princess Augusta, Kew’s landmark building will stand for centuries to come. The famous design features the Great Pagoda in all its glory, encircled by rare vines.
- A Modern Classic: Restored to the coinage of Charles II in 1672, Britannia has been a fixture on the coins of every subsequent monarch. Christopher Ironside depiction of our most recognizable national icon – seated beside a lion, resting her shield – endured for 40 years before being replaced by Matthew Dent’s definitive design in 2008.
Nicola Howell, Director of Consumer Business at The Royal Mint, commented: “The launch of the 50p British Culture set earlier this year captured the attention of the nation and was a fantastic way to begin the 50 years of the 50p celebrations.
“As our year of celebration continues, we’re delighted to announce the release of a Brilliant Uncirculated edition of the 50 years of the 50p British Culture Set. In response to widespread customer feedback we have introduced this hugely popular set with its five standout designs to provide more people with the opportunity to celebrate this milestone anniversary.”
The 50p Brilliant Uncirculated British Culture set will be available to purchase from www.royalmint.com.
Leave a comment
Please sign in or register to leave a comment.
Your identity will be restricted to first name/last initial, or a user ID you create.