Rare 2019 Reverse Proof ASE released at Whitman show. $66 coins shoot to $250+ on the floor

Patrick Ian Perez · Nov 15, 2019
Featured

Collectors and dealers line up at the Whitman Expo in Baltimore in hopes of scoring a 2019 Reverse Proof Silver Eagle On Thursday November 14th, the U.S. Mint released

On Thursday November 14th, the U.S. Mint released the first ever Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle with an Enhanced finished both online and in person at the Whitman Baltimore Expo. The release price was $65.95 with a mintage of 30,000 coins and an order limit of one per household. Because of the low mintage and expected demand, numerous large wholesale dealers were offering instant profits to those who were able to acquire one at the show. Reports are the prevailing offer is $250 per coin. The in-person release was calm and well-organized, with buyers queuing up outside of the show floor and being brought in in groups of roughly 25 people at a time. Mint products such as these generate much excitement and speculation, and it will be interesting to see how these coins fare in the secondary market.

Comments (6)

• Ron Brown

I was on line said I had in bag then went to get logged back in because it froze up just to be told it was sold out and no longer available..

Saturday, November 23, 2019 9:33 AM EST
  • James Isaac

I am a member of the US Mint with an account and a Collector of coins.No one even said that they would be selling these coins at the Baltimore Coin Show which would lead us to wonder why nothing was mentioned .I understand that there was only 30,000 coins to be sold but we as members didn't even have a chance.I wonder just how many were sold at the Show..

Monday, November 18, 2019 11:17 PM EST
  • William Waters

"the in person release was calm and well organized" - are you blind or just stupid? this was the biggest mess I have ever been part of - total incompetence by the mint and worsened by the inept handling and poor communication by the Whitman staff - I will never partake in anything associated with Whitman again.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:10 PM EST
  • ROBERT NEVE

It is stunts like this that are nails in the coffin of coin collecting as a hobby. Limiting access to only those lucky enough or with the means to obtain only serves to drive away those with neither. RIP Numismatics.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:43 PM EST
  • Michael Oertel

Once again the mint screws with the backbone of their collectors and only mint a small number. I was on the phone and web site at 12:00 and could not get anything but the busy signal and when I got to the check out finally at 12:15 was told no longer available. I quit buying from the mint three years ago when I told the mint to not limit orders but ensure over a month’s period all orders given be honored. A fair way to ensure we of the lower middle class could get those coins we desired. Once again, a corrupt system very reminiscent of “no term politicians” that take care of themselves first and place our needs last if ever. Another blue collar worker who makes up the back bone of our society and gets kicked down again.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:38 PM EST
  • Rex Chamberlin

I expect to buy mine online with my account from the US mint. As I usually do . How many were sold at the show?

Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:25 PM EST

Please sign in or register to leave a comment.

Your identity will be restricted to first name/last initial, or a user ID you create.

Patrick Ian Perez

Patrick Ian Perez began as a full time numismatist in June of 2008. For six years he owned and operated a retail brick and mortar coin shop in southern California. He joined the Coin Dealer Newsletter in August of 2014 and was promoted to Editor in June 2015. In addition to United States coins, his numismatic interests include world paper money, world coins with an emphasis on Mexico and Germany, and numismatic literature. Patrick has been also published in the Journal of the International Bank Note Society (IBNS) .