American Numismatic Association to Convene Task Force to Develop Additional Security Protocols for Coin Shows
On August 15, 2022, during setup of the American Numismatic Association’s (ANA) World’s Fair of Money in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, a dealer had a display case of Rolex watches and coins stolen. Over the past several months, organized groups have been targeting coin shows and coin shops. These offenses are becoming serious issues and have resulted in substantial losses.
“As was driven home by the recent theft at the World’s Fair of Money, the American Numismatic Association is concerned about increased numismatic scams and crimes across the nation,” said ANA President Dr. Ralph Ross. “The ANA’s Board of Governors will convene a series of special meetings to conduct a thorough evaluation of the Association’s security protocols and take steps to address the emerging threats to the numismatic community’s property and physical safety. We look forward to collaborating with law enforcement, security specialists and members of our numismatic community for purposes of minimizing risks in our community.”
Visit money.org/consumer-awareness for tips on how to minimize becoming a numismatic crime victim.
“We are devastated that this happened to our colleague and perceive this as an assault on our community as a whole,” said Kim Kiick, ANA executive director. “The ANA will work with the dealer and authorities to ensure that the perpetrators are held accountable.”
Persons having any information about the Chicago World’s Fair of Money theft or the items stolen should contact the Detective Division of the Rosemont (Illinois) Police Dept at 847-344-2350 or contact Doug Davis at NCIC at Doug@numismaticcrimes.org / 817-723-7231.
Below is a list of the stolen property:
- Rolex 68NM8988 Card Submariner 40mm s/s MAYYY
- Rolex 50548806 Explorer III 42mm s/s OYYY
- Rolex Cier Air King 34mm SS Y154239
- Rolex Daytona 588u0014 40mm 18kt YG KYYYY
- Rolex GMT 40mm S/S TIYY E267488
- Rolex Subcard 15A71239 MATYY
- Rolex Black Daytona 40mm s/s AYYY MD88041
- Rolex 943YY485 Yachtmaster 31mm 18kt YG/ss IYYY
- Rolex DJ 18K YG L225047
- Rolex 405n559 Datejust 41mm ST/WG OIYY
- Rolex 74z55203 Daytona 40mm Platinum MYYYYY
- Rolex 8579069 Day Date 18K yg MMYYY
- Rolex 1043462 Explorer II Explorer II 40mm s/s NSYY
- Rolex Datejust IOIY T390114
- Rolex A560809 Day Date 36mm 18KT/YG MIOIY
- Rolex Day date 18k yg 6410355
- Rolex K329143 PAP Submariner 40mm S/S TSIY
- Rolex Day date 18k yg 6
- Rolex Explorer II 40mm s/s TAIY F699052
- Rolex K358799 Explorer II 40mms/s TIYY
- Rolex U468886 Yachtmaster 26mm 18k w/g KYYY
- Rolex t760740 Datejust 36mm s/s CIYY
- Rolex K132037 Paper GMT Master ii 40mm s/s MMYYY
- Rolex E619102 Submariner 40mm S/S TOYY
- 1914D $10 Gold Indian ICG MS65
- 1883CC GSA Holder
- 1884CC GSA Holder
- 1856S NGC AU55 $3 gold
- 2- $20 Saints PCGS MS63
- 1850 1$ Gold
- 1820 Large Cent raw
- 1865 Five cent raw
- 1798 1$ PCGS XF Knob 9
- 1865 2 cent piece
- 1843-O 50 cent AU raw
- 2- 1909 D 5$ Indians NGC MS63
The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered, nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging the study and collection of coins and related items. The ANA helps its members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of educational and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications and conventions. For more information, call (719) 632-2646 or visit money.org.
Download the Greysheet app for access to pricing, news, events and your subscriptions.
Subscribe to Monthly Greysheet for the industry's most respected pricing and to read more articles just like this.
Source: American Numismatic Association
Please sign in or register to leave a comment.
Your identity will be restricted to first name/last initial, or a user ID you create.