SEARCH BY CATEGORY
GreatCollections Offers the "Ultimate Collection" of Rattlers and Old Holders at Unreserved Auction
Published on November 13, 2019
An important time capsule of certified coins from a single owner 1796 Bust Quarter graded PCGS MS64 from the Ultimate Collection November 12, 2019. Irvine, Calif. – Gr
An important time capsule of certified coins from a single owner
November 12, 2019. Irvine, Calif. – GreatCollections is pleased to announce the Ultimate Collection of Rattlers and Old Holders. The collection comprises nearly 100 certified coins that were graded in the early years of PCGS and NGC and have resided with one owner ever since.
The collection of important early U.S. coins includes a 1796 Draped Bust Quarter, graded PCGS MS-64 and a 1796 Draped Bust Dime, graded PCGS MS-63 – both encapsulated in small “rattler” holders, the original type by PCGS. NGC highlights include an 1885-CC Morgan Silver Dollar graded MS-68 with crescent toning and several low-mintage proof Seated Quarters, all in the original “fatty” holders.
Ian Russell, owner/president of GreatCollections said: “We often dream of finding an original hoard of old holders of this magnitude and our dream came true this time! The originality, quality and rarity of these coins are out of this world. 1797 Half Dollars are extremely rare, and this collection has two examples, both in rattlers.
“One of my favorite coins from the collection is the 1796 Draped Bust Dime. Conservatively graded MS-63 in the late 1980s, the coin exhibits original luster rarely encountered on 18th century U.S. coinage,” Ian continued.
Another highlight is the 1905 Barber Quarter, graded PCGS MS-68 and also in a rattler holder with attractive toning. PCGS graded this coin 30 years ago as the finest known, and despite the 40 million coins graded by the firm, it is still the lone MS-68. The 1797 Draped Bust Half Dollars were graded VF-20 and VF-30.
The whole collection is being auctioned unreserved, with bidding to commence at $1. Several of the coins are expected to sell for more than $100,000 each, including the 1796 Draped Bust Quarter.
Highlights from the Ultimate Collection at GreatCollections:
- 1793 Liberty Cap Half Cent Bent Cap, Bunch Leaves PCGS XF-40 BN CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1793 Chain Cent AMERICA PCGS AU-50 BN CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1811 Classic Cent PCGS MS-64 BN CAC OGH (2nd Gen)
- 1796 Draped Bust Dime PCGS MS-63 (CAC Gold Label) OGH (1st Gen)
- 1796 Draped Bust Quarter PCGS MS-64 OGH (1st Gen)
- 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter Arrows and Rays NGC MS-66 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1846 Seated Liberty Quarter NGC Proof-65 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1847 Seated Liberty Quarter NGC Proof-65 OH (Toned)
- 1849 Seated Liberty Quarter NGC Proof-64 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1905 Barber Quarter PCGS MS-68 CAC OGH (1st Gen) (Toned)
- 1797 Draped Bust Half Dollar PCGS VF-20 OGH (1st Gen)
- 1797 Draped Bust Half Dollar PCGS VF-30 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1829/7 Capped Bust Half Dollar PCGS MS-65 CAC OGH (1st Gen) (Toned)
- 1795 Draped Bust Silver Dollar NGC AU-50 CAC OH
- 1799 Draped Bust Silver Dollar PCGS AU-50 CAC OGH (Toned)
- 1885-CC Morgan Silver Dollar NGC MS-68 CAC OH (Toned)
- 1847-D Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS AU-50 OGH (1st Gen)
- 1883 Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS Proof-65 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1879 Three-Dollar Gold Piece PCGS MS-64 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1889 Three-Dollar Gold Piece PCGS MS-63 CAC OGH
- 1795 Capped Bust Right Gold Half Eagle Small Eagle PCGS XF-40 OGH
- 1843-D Liberty Gold Half Eagle PCGS AU-50 OGH
- 1846-D/D Liberty Gold Half Eagle PCGS XF-40 (CAC Gold Label) OGH
- 1929 Indian Gold Half Eagle PCGS MS-62 CAC OGH (1st Gen)
- 1866-S Liberty Gold Double Eagle No Motto NGC AU-53 OH
- 1891-CC Liberty Gold Double Eagle PCGS AU-50 (CAC Gold Label) OGH
- Pattern 1859 50c J-240 PCGS Proof-65 RB OGH (1st Gen)
- Pattern 1875 50c J-1418 PCGS Proof-64 RD CAC OGH (1st Gen)
All coins from the Ultimate Collection are available for bid now through Sunday, January 19th at www.greatcollections.com with professional images. A special printed brochure is available by request.
The collection will be on view at the PCGS Members Only show in Las Vegas (December 11th-13th) and by appointment at GreatCollections’ Irvine office.
# # #
GreatCollections is an auction house for certified coins and paper money, as well as coins approved by CAC with sales exceeding $30 million over the past 12 months. GreatCollections handles each coin/banknote transaction from start to finish. For sellers, GreatCollections offers professional imaging for each coin/note, cash advances as appropriate, and other individualized services generally not available with the large auction houses and other websites, freeing the seller to do nothing except collect the proceeds of the sale. Buyers benefit by entrusting a venue whose principals have years of numismatic experience and whose reputations in the industry are impeccable.
# # #
Leave a comment
Please sign in or register to leave a comment.
Your identity will be restricted to first name/last initial, or a user ID you create.