SEARCH BY CATEGORY
GreatCollections to Auction the Yellowstone Collection of U.S. Gold Coins
Published on September 24, 2020
The collection comprises over 100 certified coins that have been graded by PCGS and NGC, the two leading grading services for rare coins, and were mostly acquired from 2000 to 2008.
September 23, 2020. Irvine, Calif. – GreatCollections is pleased to announce the auction of the Yellowstone Collection of U.S. Gold coins scheduled for Sunday, October 4th. The collection comprises over 100 certified coins that have been graded by PCGS and NGC, the two leading grading services for rare coins, and were mostly acquired from 2000 to 2008.
The collection includes many rarities, some of which are universally known: a key-date 1929 Indian Half Eagle, graded PCGS MS-65. But some are much rarer and less recognized, such as the 1859 Liberty Quarter Eagle, graded PCGS Proof-62 CAMEO. Although 80 coins were originally minted just prior to the Civil War, very few survive. The last PCGS graded example appeared on the market back in 2013, and the example prior to that was auctioned in 2005. As a result, it has been missing from many of the major collections over the past few decades.
Ian Russell, owner/president of GreatCollections said: “The Yellowstone Collection of yellow stones--well, gold coins to be more precise--has many rarities, with Charlotte and Dahlonega gold in Mint State condition, Proof gold coinage in most series, and even territorials.
“One of my favorite parts of this collection is the wide variety of Proof coinage and their low mintages, including an 1881 $3 and a 1910 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle – both major rarities in proof and highly sought-after,“ Russell continued.
The whole collection is being auctioned unreserved, with bidding to commence at $1. GreatCollections has estimated the total value of the collection at well over $1 million.
Highlights from the Yellowstone Collection at GreatCollections:
- 1854-D Liberty Gold Dollar PCGS MS-62
- 1840-D Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle NGC AU-55
- 1844-C Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle NGC MS-62 (Ex. Ashland City Collection)
- 1851-O Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS MS-64
- 1852-C Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle NGC MS-61
- 1854-C Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle NGC MS-62 (Ex. Norweb Collection)
- 1855-C Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle NGC MS-62
- 1857-D Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS MS-62
- 1859 Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle Old Reverse PCGS Proof-62 CAMEO
- 1879 Liberty Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS Proof-64
- 1911 Indian Gold Quarter Eagle NGC Proof-62
- 1911-D Indian Gold Quarter Eagle NGC MS-63
- 1854 Three-Dollar Gold Piece NGC Proof-58
- 1854-D Three-Dollar Gold Piece NGC AU-55
- 1870 Three-Dollar Gold Piece PCGS Proof-61 CAMEO CAC
- 1881 Three-Dollar Gold Piece PCGS Proof-64 CAMEO CAC
- 1883 Three-Dollar Gold Piece PCGS Proof-63 CAMEO
- 1805 Capped Bust Right Gold Half Eagle PCGS MS-64
- 1812 Capped Bust Left Gold Half Eagle PCGS MS-64 CAC
- 1823 Capped Head Gold Half Eagle PCGS MS-61
- 1836 Classic Gold Half Eagle PCGS MS-64 CAC OGH
- 1849 Liberty Gold Half Eagle NGC MS-63
- 1855-C Liberty Gold Half Eagle NGC MS-63
- 1855-D Liberty Gold Half Eagle Medium D NGC MS-62
- 1860-S Liberty Gold Half Eagle NGC MS-61 CAC
- 1868 Liberty Gold Half Eagle NGC Proof-63 CAMEO
- 1877-CC Liberty Gold Half Eagle NGC AU-55
- 1887 Liberty Gold Half Eagle NGC Proof-61
- 1894 Liberty Gold Half Eagle PCGS Proof-64 DCAM CAC
- 1907 Liberty Gold Half Eagle PCGS Proof-64 CAMEO CAC
- 1908 Indian Gold Half Eagle NGC Proof-64
- 1929 Indian Gold Half Eagle PCGS MS-65
- 1797 Capped Bust Gold Eagle Large Eagle NGC AU-58
- 1868 Liberty Gold Eagle PCGS Proof-62 CAMEO
- 1873 Liberty Gold Eagle Closed 3 NGC AU-58
- 1902 Liberty Gold Eagle NGC Proof-64 CAC
- 1912 Indian Gold Eagle NGC Proof-64
- 1857-O Liberty Gold Double Eagle NGC AU-58
- 1861-O Liberty Gold Double Eagle NGC AU-53
- 1885 Liberty Gold Double Eagle NGC AU-50
- 1898 Liberty Gold Double Eagle PCGS Proof-60
- 1900 Liberty Gold Double Eagle PCGS Proof-60 CAMEO
- 1907 Liberty Gold Double Eagle NGC Proof-65 CAMEO
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief NGC Proof-62
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief, Wire Edge PCGS MS-63
- 1908-S Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle PCGS MS-63
- 1910 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle NGC Proof-64
- 1911-D Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle PCGS MS-67
All coins from the Yellowstone Collection are available for bid now through Sunday, October 4th at www.greatcollections.com with professional images. For more information, please telephone GreatCollections at 1-800-442-6467 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
GreatCollections is an auction house for certified coins and paper money, as well as coins approved by CAC with sales exceeding $40 million over the past 12 months. GreatCollections handles each coin/banknote transaction from start to finish. For sellers, GreatCollections offers professional imaging for each coin/note, cash advances as appropriate, and other individualized services generally not available with the large auction houses and other websites, freeing the seller to do nothing except collect the proceeds of the sale. Buyers benefit by entrusting a venue whose principals have years of numismatic experience and whose reputations in the industry are impeccable.
# # #
Leave a comment
Please sign in or register to leave a comment.
Your identity will be restricted to first name/last initial, or a user ID you create.