Catalog & market information for bank notes issued by Bishop De Jersey and Company
On 7 November 1804, two merchants named Charles Bishop and Henry de Jersey severed their partnership with Phillip Tyson Le Gros and subsequently operated as Bishop De Jersey & Company. Business was conducted from a granite building called Carrefour House, facing High Street. Because the partnership was unincorporated, contemporary documents reference the partners’ surnames, or the colloquial “Guernsey Bank.” Notice that the issuer appears variously as “Bank,” “Guernsey Bank,” or “Bank of Guernsey” on the 1808 and 1809 notes. In 1811, Bishop De Jersey & Company ceased operations along with Macculloch, Allaire, Bonamy & Company, leaving Guernsey without a bank until 1827, during which time banking was conducted through merchants.
The prices listed in our database are intended to be used as an indication only. Users are strongly encouraged to seek multiple sources of pricing before making a final determination of value. CDN Publishing is not responsible for typographical or database-related errors. Your use of this site indicates full acceptance of these terms.