Catalog & market information for bank notes issued by Guernsey Commercial Banking Company
On 25 September 1835, the Guernsey Commercial Banking Company was founded as a private note issuing bank. In 1836, it opened an agency at Alderney. In 1852, it erected a purpose-built bank at 33 High Street, which was extensively refurbished in 1875 and extended in 1894. The commercial banks lost their right to issue notes in 1914 (according to the bank’s balance sheet, it has issued approximately 50,000 notes through 1913), although their notes circulated until 1924. On 1 January 1924, the Guernsey Commercial Banking Company was acquired by the Westminster Bank, which became part of National Westminster in 1970, and subsequently Royal Bank of Scotland in 2000.
The prices listed in our database are intended to be used as an indication only. Users are strongly encouraged to seek multiple sources of pricing before making a final determination of value. CDN Publishing is not responsible for typographical or database-related errors. Your use of this site indicates full acceptance of these terms.